SII newbie seeks advice (and utters potential blasphemy)

To: "Alpines List" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: SII newbie seeks advice (and utters potential blasphemy)
From: "Jerry Michalski" <jerry@sociate.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 19:38:43 -0500
Dear Rootes fans,

For some time I've been an enthusiastic lurker on this list, reading with
amazement the detailed descriptions of where otherwise unknown flanges are
located or what model clutch cover fits on which LBC. Who needs Car Talk?

I'm not a qualified mechanic, nor do I have the appropriate tools or space.
That said, I live in Berkeley, CA, and have used two great local repair
shops: Jack Little at British American Car Service in Oakland and Bob
Vilches at British European and Japanese Auto Service in the SoMa section of
San Francisco. I also know about Sunbeam Specialties further south. Very
handy.

Two Octobers ago, I moved to the North Berkeley hills -- the top of some
pretty steep hills -- at just the time that two of my Alpine's four
cylinders decided to stop cooperating. Jack in Oakland verified they weren't
compressing and recommended a valve job. Pressed for cash and time, I opted
against, struggled to get the car back uphill and parked it, hoping for a
chance to fix it up again.

I now have that window, plus a little spare cash to fund a refit.

The car is a white 1962 Series II, VIN B9109222, in so-so condition (quite
dusty now) with questionable origins for most of its parts. Original grey
wire wheels with knockoffs. I bought it in 2000 from a father/son who had
refurbished several Alpines in San Pedro, just north of here. They upgraded
the engine to one with 1485 ccs (I believe) and an electric overdrive (it
works, but hasn't been turned over in quite a while). Still, even with a
valve job, I'm not sure it'll take the repetitive stress of this hill, and
I'd like a (more) reliable car at the end of this round.

Now for a little blasphemy. I'm not stuck on making this a normal working
Alpine. (I'd skip "normal" in favor of "working".) I'm completely open to
radical ideas, like a conversion to electric (gasp!) or an engine
transplant. I don't think moving to biodiesel would help much, though it
would make me popular around here. Natural gas?

Electric sounds expensive and impractical. I've heard a rough estimate of
$7K for the conversion (ouch!), plus the car would have to lug 1200 lbs. of
batteries to have any range. I read of someone powering a car on used
lithium-ion batteries from cellphones, but that's a little beyond my
technical ken. I'd be interested, though, and certainly it'd be lighter than
with lead-acid batteries.

A key benefit of electric motors would be power to spare, or so I'm told.
They'd probably turn on right away in all kinds of weather, too, something a
bit more positive than my experience with this Alpine so far (I know, if I
wanted a car that always started, what on Earth was I doing looking at
Alpines?).

Another thought: a V6 conversion.
www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbeam/alpine/mk1-5/techtips/alpv6txt.html
Would that be worth it?

The Bay Area strikes me as one of the most likely places on this planet to
find people interested in creative, ecologically sound alternatives. Know
anyone whose brain I might pick about this locally?

Any trade schools that might like this as a project car? (Or should I avoid
the uninitiated touching it at all costs?) Should I just sell it as is and
get one in better condition? Any local Rootes fans I can buy a beer?

I'm also interested in getting the seats reupholstered (I think there's
someone somewhere that specializes in that, no?), the interior redone, the
outside repainted, an iPod integrated and assorted other small things.
Topless driving season is right around the corner, so I'm motivated.

Any and all advice warmly appreciated. My apologies if I've offended anyone
who is against such transplants (lobotomies?).

Cheers,
Jerry

Check out the new British Cars Forum: