Re: Rear end numbers

To: Chuck Nicodemus <armorseal@spiretech.com>
Subject: Re: Rear end numbers
From: Jan Servaites <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:35:10 -0700
Chuck,
    Okay, I'm trying to understand all this. You want to replace your
rear axle gears, in your series II, with what & why? I don't know if you
know this, but Alpines only have 2 ratios: 3.89 (std trans) & 4:11 (OD
trans). I assume that your series II is a road car (highway use), so the
only alternative is the 3:89 ratio. If you have the OD trans, I would
still recommend the 3:89. If you are setting up a autocross car, I would
install the 4:11.
Now, if you have 3 pumpkins (I assume out of the rear axle assembly),
you determine the ration by looking at the ring gear, because it should
have the tooth numbers for pinion & ring gears printed on the ring gear.
You can also count the teeth and divide.
Now, for the axle splines, the course splines only came on the series I,
the finer splines were used throughout the series (II, 3, IV, V) except
for the later series V.
The numbers that you mentioned, I have no idea what they are about.
I hope that helps?

Jan Servaites (Dayton OH - The Birthplace of Aviation)

              http://www.wright-brothers.org/

              "I am convinced that human flight is
              possible and practical."
                             -- Wilbur Wright, 1899