Series V, 8" clutch ?

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Series V, 8" clutch ?
From: Jonathan Mies <jmies@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 18:27:21 -0400
Alpine experts,

I finally got around to working on my clutch over the holiday
weekend. However, I found that the new clutch, purchased as a
replacement for the original in my car (early Series V w/10-spline
shaft), is different from the one that's been in the car for the past
20 years. The new clutch, with a 7.5" driven plate, is relatively
small. The clutch from the car has an 8" driven plate and a larger
clutch cover/diaphragm spring. The flywheel in the car is also
different from one mounted on my spare engine. Since the flywheel on
my spare engine mates correctly to the new clutch, I assume it is
original and that the one in the car is not.

I would consider swapping out flywheels, so I could use the clutch I
already purchased, but the spare (original) flywheel has badly worn
teeth. (I also like the idea of a larger clutch, despite the heavier
flywheel. Please correct me if this is a bad idea.)

If I can identify the 8" clutch and find a source for a new one, I
would probably just replace it. The 8" clutch is stamped "Borg & Beck
Co. Ltd." "England". Other than a difference of size and the related
difference of flywheels, it is similar to the original Alpine clutch.

Photos of the clutch can be seen at

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmies/alpine/clutch/clutch.html

Does anybody recognize it?
Is it from a different Alpine or other Roots car?
Does anybody know of a source or have other advice for me?

Thanks
Jon

email: Jonathan-Mies@utc.edu