Tech Tip

To: "Alpine, Message" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tech Tip
From: "Thomas Wiencek" <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:19:40 -0600
I`ve recently replaced my windshield on my 79 MGB.  The windshield frame
to body seal was a serious challenge, when you have roll out the leading
edge of the seal once on the car.  I've read several ways to do this,
but  one  seemed less of a chance of damage to the paint.   You take a
piece of strong rope about 1/8 inch thick and slip it into the folded
over flap before lowering the windshield to the car, allowing extra to
hang out the ends.  Next get slight pressure on the middle attaching
bolts.  Then simply start at one end and pull the string out toward the
front of the car and see how easy the seal comes out.  Be sure to hold
the other end of the string too.  Job done with no problems.  Boy if all
things were this simple, life would be a breeze.    But if you wanted
that, you would not be working on an MG in the first place.  This is not
my idea, but a good one!