Re: More details on the "Baby Cuda"

To: "Jan Eyerman" <jan.eyerman@usa.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More details on the "Baby Cuda"
From: "Mike Hooper" <mike.hooper@panavision.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 17:27:05 +0100
Look at:

http://members.tripod.com/Sunbeam_Rapier/style.htm

or

http://members.tripod.com/Sunbeam_Rapier/history.htm

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Eyerman" <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2003 4:20 PM
Subject: More details on the "Baby Cuda"

> Actually the Alpine GT and Alpine fastbacks were introduced in the USA in
1969
> and were sold into 1970.  While the basic Alpine stayed more or less the
same
> for both years, there is some variation between the '69 Alpine GT and the
1970
> models.  Most notable is the change in the dashboard.  The '69s have a
wood
> verneer dash while the TRUE 1970 models (not '69 leftovers retitled) have
> wrap around dash made of plastic.  In addition, the backup lights are in
the
> trunklid.  There are a number of other subtle differences but those two
allow
> you to pick out the 1970's quickly.  Roughly 3,500 '69s were sold and
maybe
> another 1,000 1970's.  Total sales of Alpines, Alpine GT's and Arrows
appears
> to have been about 10,000 cars over 2 years in the USA.  The Alpine GT's
were
> the biggest sellers with the Arrows and basic Alpines doing quite a bit
less
> well.
>
> Roy Axe of Rootes, then Chrysler UK and then Chrysler USA did the styling
of
> the Alpine GT (called the Rapier in England).  Design work started at just
> about the time of Chrysler involvement so Chrysler input is possible.  The
> Arrow seems to have a great deal of 1964-66 Valiant styling cues.  The
oddity
> is that the Rootes cars show styling influences of PAST and current
Chrysler

Panavision UK can be found at www.panavision.co.uk

which are not the views of Panavision UK unless specifically stated.

If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not
use, copy
or disclose the information in any way nor act in  reliance on it and notify
the sender
immediately. Please note that Panavision UK monitors e-mails sent or received.