Re: [Re: Starting / Grounding problems]

To: <JACranwell@aol.com>, <piperbill@isp01.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: Starting / Grounding problems]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:35:45 -0400
I had a problem similar to yours many years ago.  I too thought I had fixed it
by tightening the "inner" nut.  What I did not know was that I had messed up
the connection INSIDE the starter.  I suggest that you first try using a heavy
duty jumper cable directly from the battery to the starter terminal (also use
a jumper from the ground connection on teh battery to the block) and see if
the starter still works.  If it does not, then pull the starter, if it does,
begin tracing each connection.  I would start with grounds first and then go
to the "hot" side.

Jan

JACranwell@aol.com wrote:

Bill,

I would not worry about the ignition switch. Since you're getting a 'click',
then it it sending current through to the solenoid.

To eliminate the ground strap etc., bypass using a jump lead direct from the
battery ground terminal to the engine. If it works, then the main suspects
would be the earth strap to the rear of the gearbox, or the battery lead to
ground in the battery box. The latter can get corroded, and reduce current
sufficiently to prevent starting.

Good luck,

Julian.