Re: engine problem?

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine problem?
From: "Keith Johnson" <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:11:51 +1000
The coil sounds like a very possible culprit.
However you say you have replaced "everything"
You also say there is no spark when it stops so we are looking for an
electrical problem.

In the light of having replaced all the likely faulty bits, we need to start
thinking outside the square.

I work in electronics and it sounds like you have a "thermal" fault.
Something is getting hot after a short time and stopping it all.
You have replaced the individual parts and still have the problem.

My suggestion is to look at all the connectors on the ends of the various
wires. Crimped connectors are prone to giving problems even when they look
ok. I solder them. But in the absence of that technology I would suggest the
wholesale replacement of the connectors on the wires associated with the
coil and distributor.
One check that would be of benefit first is to check the supply side of the
coil for power, you don't need a meter just a 12 volt test lamp. If no volts
here check at the fuse box and ignition switch. The "IGN" connection on the
ignition switch could be loose or burned the same as somebody has suggested
for the coil connections.

A cheats trick if you want to eliminate all the wiring is to "hot wire" your
car and see if it keeps running. Just pull the supply wire off the coil (the
one that doesn't go to the distributor) and run a clip lead between battery
and the coil. The car should start and run. If it keeps running, then there
is a problem in the wiring that supplies the coil. You will need to remove
the clip lead to stop it :-)

I have seen this problem caused by the ignition switch.

These are a simple vehicle so logical and methodical detective work should
highlight the cause.
Holmes says after you have eliminated everything else, what you are left
with is the cause :-))

Keith
55 Californian
57 Rapier

To localise a problem like this you need to isolate the possible causes one
at a time otherwise solving the problem is only "dumb luck"