Re: gettin' warm

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: gettin' warm
From: "Keith Johnson" <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:43:57 +1000
Robert,

Your problems started when you fitted the electric fan.
One dumb question I need to ask,  :-)  is the fan "sucking" or "blowing"??
You put the fan in front of the radiator, so it should be blowing air
through the radiator from front to back.
Is the fan large enough, in diameter to move air through a good part of the
core??
Modern cars use electric fans mounted as you have so it should work.
The factory electric installations have a shroud to ensure air goes through
the whole core.

I ran a very fast Hillman Minx with no fan fitted at all and had no
overheating problems at all, except if stuck in traffic.
So natural air flow will keep it cool as long as you are moving.

Using a lower temperature thermostat will have little effect on overall
engine temperature, the purpose of this item is to speed engine warm up from
cold, once it is open it should have little effect. It is worth checking
that the existing thermostat is actually opening. You can check it easily by
removing it and dropping it in a pot of water. Bring the water to the boil
and you should see it open. If you have a thermometer that can handle the
temperature you can see at what temperature it opens.
I had overheating problems at on stage caused by a non opening thermostat.
As I lived in a mild climate and did mostly long trips I just removed it,
the engine took a few minutes longer to get up to operating temperature.
Flat head Ford V8's had overheating problems that often could be cured by
fitting restrictors in the top radiator hoses, but I don't think the
Rootesmobile has this problem.

The oil cooler is a good idea if you tend to drive competitively but not
having it should not be an issue for normal street use.

One other thing to check is the radiator core for blockages, if a large
number of the tubes are clogged no amount of air blown into it will keep
anything cool. A recore job is not expensive, about $180 in Australia for a
triple core with better cooling than the original.

I haven't got into the technical stuff about timing and lean mixtures. These
also can have an effect on operating temperature.

Keith
55 Californian
57 Rapier.