Tech Tip

To: "Alpine, Message" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tech Tip
From: "Thomas Wiencek" <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:15:28 -0500
All of us have had a rusty bolt to loosen at least once.  While taking a
Ford Model A apart I had a bunch of rusted nuts, bolts and screws.  I
asked an old time restorer what the best penetrating oil was he replied
brake fluid.  I tried it and sure enough brake fluid (dot 3) works great
on rusted parts.  Soak the part to be freed with brake fluid let it
stand a few minutes then use the wrench.  Don't get it on any painted
surface you care about as it is a fair paint remover too. ;)