Re: [Re: Ford Contour wheels on the Alpine]

To: <dablue@lightbound.com>, <jsrlee@shaw.ca>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: Ford Contour wheels on the Alpine]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:26:40 -0400
30 years ago I had a set of spacers made to allow me to use Alpine wheels on
my Husky.  They were about 1/2 inch thick and by not putting wheel weights on
the inside of the rims, I was able to clear the Husky's suspension.  This only
had to be done on the front wheels, the rears fit fine.  The wheel lugs are
plenty long enough to handle 1/2 inch spacers.  Today there are spacers sold
that allow you to do this-you don't have to have them made.

Jan Eyerman

"Bill Blue" <dablue@lightbound.com> wrote:

I'm beginning to think there are no aftermarket wheels that truely fit the
Alpine.  It has a different offset than most wheels, 11/4".  Rear drive cars
use about a 3/4" offset, front drives seem to be something north of 11/2.  I
looked at a lot of wheels at the Invasion and found none that I thought did
not protrude way beyond the same size tire on the Alpine wheel.
Have you looked into using spacers?  Say 1/2 -3/4" thick?
Bill