Re: cleaning gas tanks

To: hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Subject: Re: cleaning gas tanks
From: jumpinjan <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:48:15 -0700
If you guys have a single tank or the later dual tanks, it may not be
cost effective to do it yourself. Here are the facts:
Restorers in Ohio have their fuel tanks dipped at our metal cleaning
facility in Cincy. They are returned completely free of paint & rust
(you want it rust free to see any pin holes that need repair). One local
radiator & tank repair shop, that servers a lot of us here in Dayton,
will not let you bring in a fuel tank into his shop, unless it HAS been
dipped.
I coat my tanks myself now because my volume is getting higher. I use
"Fuel Tank Liner" manufactured by Damon Industries and I start with
3-quarts (approx. $60) so that I have more than enough to slosh around.
I coat all the tanks as a batch because the liner will go bad after a
short time (dries up in the can after it's opened). Follow their
directions. This is what the Pros use around here, and all the tanks
repair shops here in the "Birth Place of Aviation" Dayton, OH.
Jan Servaites