Slipping 3rd Gear

To: "'Alpine List'" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slipping 3rd Gear
From: The Lees <jsrlee@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 23:23:47 -0600
My engine is out for a major rebuild so it's time to look at the problem
of the tranny slipping out of gear when decelerating in third gear. It
has about 80,000 miles on it but the previous owner did a major rebuild
at about 45,000 miles. The 10 year old shop invoice is difficult to read
but I do know it was re-assembled with the original 3rd & 4th shift fork
as the new one on the parts order was noted as back ordered. I have
heard  differing opinions as to the source of my problem. Some say it`s
the shift fork but my mechanic friend Bert at The Sports Car Center
seems to think it would be the detent spring. His experience with SV
transmissions is limited. We didn't have a manual to refer to at his
shop. My tranny experience is limited to a gear change on a GM 3 speed
20 years ago. Everything seems fine with the unit except for that
annoying slippage. I'm going to start by studying the online manual but
if anybody can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly
appreciated.
John and Ryan Lee
B395000793LRX