Steering Wheel Play

To: "'alpines@autox.team.net'" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Wheel Play
From: "Fisher, Michael L" <fisherml@BATTELLE.ORG>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 07:52:34 -0500
I have some play in the steering of my Series V (about 5-10 degrees). The
car is on blocks in the garage now (still have snow on the ground in Ohio!)
so I did the standard wobble of the wheels to check the tie rod ends and the
ball joints. No movement at all in either the horizontal or vertical
directions which leads me to believe the tie rod ends and the ball joints
are ok, or at least not bad enough to account for the movement I see in the
steering wheel. Does anybody have any other suggestions on where I should
look for the problem before I go into the steering box? I have been hesitant
to do that because of my lack of experience with the Alpine steering system.

Thanks
Mike Fisher, Ph.D.
Senior Research Scientist
Energetic Systems and Security Technologies
Battelle
505 King Avenue
Columbus, OH  43201-2693

phone:  614.424-7871