Re: other Rootes cars with Alpine subframe?

To: "Whiteford Andy" <A.G.Whiteford@gcal.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: other Rootes cars with Alpine subframe?
From: "Alkon" <alkon@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:23:16 +1000
Giday Andy,

I am just a new arrival on the Alpine list but a long term (lifer :-))
Rootes owner.
The amount of work you are asking for by trying to exchange a Minx front
crossmember for the Alpine unit is more than just fixing up the original.
The Alpine is allegedly the same floor pan as the Husky with an X member for
strengthening and the engine mounted 4" further rearwards.
Straight away I see different steering arms track rods steering box etc.
If you put the same effort into rebuilding the original you would then have
a good front end, where installing a different unit may still leave you with
worn out bushings, ball joints etc.
If your front end has wishbones and uprights and is only missing calipers
and or discs, why not rebuild??? Often disc rotors and calipers need to be
replaced anyway.
Rebuilding suspension and mechanical bits including engines and gearboxes is
the "easy" part. Getting the bodywork into satisfactory condition is where
most restorations fall down. So many Vintage car rebuilds start with a
chassis and drive train rebuild and are abandoned when the body part becomes
"too hard".

Rootes just love to make things difficult for you by changing the little
things.
Wouldn't mind an Alpine or Rapier to add to my 55 Californian, 56 Minx and
68 Hunter. All I need is a bigger shed :-))

Keith Johnson