Re: [Re: other Rootes cars with Alpine subframe?]

To: Whiteford Andy <A.G.Whiteford@gcal.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: [Re: other Rootes cars with Alpine subframe?]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:12:42 -0500
Many of the sub-frame parts interchange between a Minx, a Husky and the Alpine
BUT, the Minxes`and Husky's sit higher-so if you use a complete sub frame from
a Minx or Husky, your Alpine will be going uphill all the time.  The front
stub axle carriers are different.

Jan Eyerman

Whiteford Andy <A.G.Whiteford@gcal.ac.uk> wrote:
Whiteford Andy (that's ME!) wrote:

> Could somebody remind me which other "Audax A"
> Rootes group car(s) have the same
> engine subframe and front suspension geomentry as the Alpine ?

OK,  i'll  rephrase-
I have a 1963 ser III Alpine,  it's various engines and ancilliaries are all
in pieces,
it's (original) front suspension needs a full rebuild, and there are no
front brake callipers, wheels, etc...

So i'm thinking of buying a running, MOTed 1965 Hillman Minx for sale
locally (# 300 ono):
I'll raise the front of the car, remove the front wheels, and simply drop
its subframe,
complete with engine & box, onto a low trolley, and use this in my Alpine,
just to get it going:

questions:
1/  Does a 1965 Minx have the same x-member & suspension geometry as a ser 4
or 5 Alpine ?
2/ will the engine & box fit through the bottom of the car ?
     (I'd take the head & carbs, etc off)
3/ 1965 Minx- iron head I know, but 1592 or 1725cc ??
4/ if not a minx, what should I look for
    (I *think* the rapier and super-minx have wrong sized suspension arms,
etc.....)

TIA

Andy