Re: [Re: Howes and headlight rims]

To: "barbara laifman" <barbaralaifman@earthlink.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Re: Howes and headlight rims]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:15:20 -0500
Look at the prototype for the Alpine-the '55-57 T-bird, note the painted,
peaked headlight rims.  Look carefully at the proportions, over all shape, etc
and you will see where the Alpine came from. The headlight rims are there to
add length to the car.

Jan

"barbara laifman" <barbaralaifman@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Chrome headlight rims cause the car to look almost "choppy".  They
> noted that the use of Chrome rims on the Minx was a mistake-they blamed
> Raymond Lowey.  Use of the painted rims on the Alpine (along with the fins)
> great emphasized length-they credited that to Bourne and thought it was
much
> better.

That's too bad.  Since Howes designed the Alpine with non-peaked headlight
rims.  It was the Rootes family that decided it had to have the peaked rims
- and ruined the teardrop look Howes intended.  Howes original shape worked
fine with the small chrome non-peaked rings.

To see a picture of Howes' design:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/feature/back_issues_00/jun_00/june.shtml

Note, I believe Lowey was the guy who had the design studio that Howes
worked at, but Lowey had nothing to do with the Alpine.
Jay