Re: [Re: steering column shift]

To: Alex McGregor <awmcgregor@shaw.ca>, Fred Levit
Subject: Re: [Re: steering column shift]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 14:22:03 -0500
Alex,

There are two problems with your '59.  The first is that you have the column
shift and the second is the truly terrible gear ratios in the '59 trans.  You
effectively have 2 first gears.  That means you have a three speed trans.  I
believe that even with the increase in engine size and horsepower, the '59 is
actually slower 0-60 then the '58.

You can't just drop in an Alpine trans as it will require some major surgery
on the transmission hump.  You have two options-cut the top off of an Alpine
trans hump or use the Husky/Minx Special direct acting floor shift.  It is
indeed long (but can be cut shorter) and is not as nice as the Alpine remote
lever, but it is still a vast improvement on the column shift.  You will need
a new cover, shift lever, spring, mount and a new rubber "plug" for the floor
(replaces that odd shaped metal cover that is an access plate).

However, an Alpine I trans will make a noteable improvement in performance and
make the car much more fun to drive.  If I had a really nice '59 Minx I would
consider getting an Alpine overdrive trans so that I could enjoy highway
cruising.

Jan Eyerman
1973 Hillman Avenger
1962 Hillman Minx Series IIIC Convertible

Alex McGregor <awmcgregor@shaw.ca> wrote:
I use my 59 Minx convertable as a summer daily driver.  While I can't shift
like
a drag racer I have never missed a gear.  The linkage reminds me of the 56
Chevy
I had as a kid.
 Do I like it?  Not really.. there is a reason I'm thinking about
transplanting
an Alpine drive train in the Minx.
Bob got it right