Re: Loose Differntial Ring Bolts

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Loose Differntial Ring Bolts
From: RootesRooter@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 14:09:24 EST
In a message dated 12/7/02 8:26:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
barbaralaifman@earthlink.net writes:

<< On my rear end, the lock washers were firmly bent over one flat of each
 bolt, and then firmly bent the other direction over the edge of the ring.
 Those bolts had gone nowhere and were going nowhere.  I even tried with a
 wrench on some of them.  No movement.

But did you actually put a socket and torque wrench on each bolt and test its
current torque?  Just because the washers were still bent over, and the bolts
were at least somewhat tight, doesn't mean they're not severely
under-torqued.  On the loose ones I've encountered, I've never seen a washer
that was 'unbent' or otherwise abnormal in appearance.  All that's required
is for the bolts to be just loose enough that the crown wheel can wiggle back
and forth with every drop of the clutch. That pounding eventually cracks and
snaps the bolts.

Dick Sanders
Kent, Wash.