Manifold

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Manifold
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 07:55:42 -0800
Jim writes:

"I had a problem sealing the exhaust manifold on my SV, the cast
manifold, it was not really good and flat. I took it to the machine shop
and had it surfaced "

Unfortunately, my problem is with the tubular headers, not the cast
manifold.  Perhaps the ends of the headers are not perfectly flat.  Each
one is separate from the other, with no connecting plate running between
them.  Now they have been Jet Coated.  I don't think you can file/sand
them, destroying the coating, and just get them recoated at the ends.  I
also think that if I file/sanded them and did not recoat the ends, the
heat would concentrate right there for a shorter life.

So, now it appears that the primary reason for changing exhaust headers is
no longer valid, that is, my alternator.  But, if it is unflat flanges on
the headers, it will be costly to fix.  So, I may go back to the cast iron
manifold anyway.

Oh well.
Jay