Re: Suggested Techbook

To: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Suggested Techbook
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@accesswave.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:29:48 -0300
Hi Bob,

This is a job I tackled two winters ago on my 1953 Sunbeam Alpine which has
a Salisbury differential but not sure of the model number. All the
pertinent information as to bearing load, backlash clearances and wear
pattern are in my shop manual and I could scan these pages for you if you
feel it would be of any assistance.

I have put about 10,000 trouble free miles on it since so I feel the
rebuild was successful. In my case the previous owner had somehow abused
the car to the point that the cast iron cage that holds the spider gears
and bolts to the crown wheel had cracked through on both sides and not sure
why it didn't just disintegrate and lock up.

Regards,
Bob

At 08:36 PM 9/15/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm going to tear into the differential  of my Morgan ( Salisbury 7HA) . The
>only manual I have for the car ( Autopress) just barely touches on the
>adjustments of the differential  but does contain all the tolerances
>Can anyone recommend a good book on rebuilding a rear axle? I expect that it
>would  not  be Salisbury specific  but I'd like to get a little more detail
>about the principals and nomenclature of the parts
>Thanks
>Bob

>///  Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
>///  or try  http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool
>///  Archives at http://www.team.net/archive
>///  Send list postings to british-cars@autox.team.net

Robert (Bob) A.C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
Home Page: www.accesswave.ca/~hamilton
Sunbeam Talbots - Alpine, Drophead and Saloon, 1953-1954
Sunbeam Talbot  Web Page: www.sunbeamtalbot.info
[Stable mates - 1973 Midget and 1968 M-B 280SE]
E-Mail: hamilton@accesswave.ca or robertach@ca.inter.net