Re: windshield install

To: mtpfinancial@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: windshield install
From: "Christopher Albers" <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:22:51 -0700
mtpfinancial@yahoo.com writes:
>Well as I speak my car is finally being wet sanded and
>polished. I have the un-daunting chore now if putting
>it back together. 1st up , the windshield. any tips
>and or pointers on this one. also what type of caulk
>is suggested between the body and the seal. ( how much
>or how little?)

I used both the black adhesive/sealant sold by Sunbeam Specialties and
that regular old clay stuff used for household windows.  When I
disassmebled the car, something similar to that was between the rubber
seal & the body.  Don't use too much of the black stuff near the leading
edge of the seal.  When you tighten down the frame it will leach out the
front of the seal if you use too much and it is difficult to remove the
excess.  Also, don't forget to replace the rubber aligning wedges used at
both ends of the frame.  I'm not sure if you can get them from SS or not.
You can get them from Smitty. (619) 233-7937.  You'll find the trickiest
part of a windshield install will be the angle of the windshield frame to
the door wing windows.  It took me several attempts to get this right.

> also I have a brand new dash pad to
>install . would this be easier to install now or after
>the windshield?

You MUST install the dash pad first!  It installs under the windshield
frame.

CNA