Glenwood

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Glenwood
From: "Mark Burkley" <mark@ciansystems.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:50:12 -0600
Hey All,

A little word about the Rallye Glenwood. The Rallye Glenwood "de facto" begins
today and my Sunbeam friends called last night and said to meet at a specific
parking lot in Denver, as many folks were going to meet there for the trip
into the mountains. I can't make it to Glenwood so I figured I'd swing by and
check out a few neat cars. I think the Glenwood is the oldest Rallye in the
US, but I'm not sure. Its the 50th anniversary. Anyway, I was stunned when
about 50 or so cars showed up. Very heavy on the MG's and Triumphs, but a
Cobra, some Mercedes, a gaggle of 356s, and lots of Austin Healys were also
there. 3 or 4 Coopers, some Lotus and a Rover 3500 as well. Not a single
Jaguar, so I figure their club must be somewhere else. All in all, an amazing
volume considering this was just a meet-at-the-lot kind of deal. I imagine
Sunday morning in Glenwood will be spectacular as the setting and weather are
all looking good. Funny how nothing can stink up a parking lot like a bunch of
Brit cars. Even if the directions to the lot were poor, I would have found it
by the blue smoke and the smell. We're in for a 90 degree plus day so many of
these guys were anxious to get a move out early as heat, altitude, and two
11,000 foot passes tend to expose things. I imagine I-70 will be one line of
old cars all day. .

Additionally, one of the Alpines there had beautiful red Wilton carpets and
custom red leather seats with black piping. When you see an interior that a
pro has done, it really sets a high bar. His doors also shut with a solid
"snick" at the slightest puff of air. Very inspiring. He is working on a SIV
GT and what he called a "Sunbeam Stationwagon". I'll be interested to see what
he means.

Just thought I'd give you guys & gals a note and let you know we're busy
representing Sunbeam out here in Colorado. They were made well for these
beautiful mountain backroads.

Regards,

Mark B