Re: [Re: Too Hot!!]

To: "Vic Hughes" <v.hughes@austarmetro.com.au>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Too Hot!!]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 09:51:24 -0400
A pot of water, a stove and a cooking thermometer bought at a "dollar" store
is the best way to test a thermostat.  Put the thermostat in teh pot of water
on teh stove and heat-watch the thermometer and thermostat and see what
temperature it begins to open at and what temperature it is fully open at.

I sometimes put several thermostats in the pot together and see if they work
in unison.

Jan

"Vic Hughes" <v.hughes@austarmetro.com.au> wrote:
Rob,

The key here seems to be that you are loosing coolant.  As you have been
working on the cooling system, the first thing I'd do is check/tighten all
the hose clamps to ensure they're not leaking under pressure/when warm.  It
can be a small leak but the consequent drop in pressure can cause
overheating.  It's also worth checking for splits or holes in the hoses,
your work may have put extra pressure on an old hose.

With a blown head gasket coolant can escape into an oil gallery or a
compression area.  The former will show  up quickly as a creamy deposit in
the oil - look at the underside of the oil filler cap.  The latter may be
detected by a compression test (showing one cylinder with much lower
compression than others, or by unusual quantities of water in the exhaust
(as Fred Levitt says).

I'd also try swapping back the old thermostat - I once had to try 3 before I
got one that worked ok.

Hope you find it

Vic