Re: [Re: New Question Non Tiger/Alpine (Apollo)]

To: "O.K. Welty" <okwelty@hotmail.com>, <berghult@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: [Re: New Question Non Tiger/Alpine (Apollo)]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:24:39 -0400
I know the Buick Apollo well.... I worked at GM at the time. the Apollo,
Pontiac Phoenix and Olds Omega were trim variations of the Chevy Nova.  All
were built at the same GMAD assembly plants.  The Cadillac Seville was a
stretched version of this same car.  Around 1970 GM decided to effectively
close down all of the divisions and turn them into marketing organizations,
everything else-design, assembly etc. was to be centralized.  Cars were to be
as identiacl as possible so that they could assembled in the same plants.  The
first target was engines-in 1970 GM built 4 entirely different 350 cubic inch
V-8's... Chevy, Pontiac, Olds and Buick each had their own.  The Chevy engine
won (probably because it was the cheapest to build).

The result of this disasterous move was that GM went from nearly 60% of the US
market to about 30%.

However, the Apollo sports car was built in the early sixties... in 1962-63
there was the Apollo 3500GT (which used the Buick aluminum V8) and then the
later 5000GT (I don't remember whose engine it used).

Jan Eyerman

"O.K. Welty" <okwelty@hotmail.com> wrote:
I know Buick made an Apollo in 73 and 74. It was based on a Nova and looked
very similar. There are several for sale on collector car trader online if
anyone is interested in seeing one.

O.K. Welty III