Door hinges

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Door hinges
From: "Steve Graham" <sjgraham@bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:40:15 +1000
Hi all,

There was recently a string on door hinges regarding removing and
refurbishing. Here is my 2 bob's worth (an Aussie expression).

During my restore I noticed that there was some movement up and down with both
doors and  when I removed the hinges the movement was in the hinges. A very
small movement at the hinge means considerable movement or wearing of door
catches etc. I obtained a new set of hinge pins from Alpine West Midlands in
England that were made from hardened spring steel and were of a split tube
type. I had to take the hinges to my trusty machine shop to remove the old
pins. It took a lot of heat,a bloody big hammer and some cursing to remove
them. On removal two pins were found to be broken. Fitting the new pins was
quite easy  making sure I fitted new washers between the two halves of the
hinge and using a lubrication and a vise to ease them in. One point, the pins
are sized for the smaller hinge so two pins per large hinge are required.

End result was great, hinges are as tight as when they left the factory and no
movement in the doors.

Steve Graham

VGT (almost at the paint shop)