RE: Timing Chain Removal

To: Jason Raser <jasonraser@yahoo.com>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Timing Chain Removal
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:06:18 -0800
Jason wrote,

>I'm going to change my timing chain on my 1592 engine.
> Will I be okay with just my 3 arm gear pullers or
>will I need a harmonic balancer puller too?

The 3 main harmonic balances are easy to bend, and the
5 main harmonic balances can have the outer ring pulled
right off the elastomer i you are not carefull.
The factory had a fixture that screwed into the hub of the
HB using 1/4 28 bolts.

But...

Depending upon whether your old chain did, and your new
chain does have a master link, you might not need to pull
either of the two sprockets.

On my latest engine I was able install the timing chain with
both in place.  The key was to locate the chain so that the
master link ins removed, and installed towad the engine side
of the sprocket.  It also helps if the master link is on the
crank sprocket, so the link lock can be installed at a slight
angle relative to the chain.

Good luck and cheers.

Jarrid Gross