Re: 3 questions]

To: jumpinjan <servaij@cris.com>, Robert Dobrowski <rsdslp@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: 3 questions]
From: Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: 04 Feb 2002 10:25:24 -0600
Has any installed a 69 Sunbeam Alpine GT dual master on an earlier Alpine or
any thoughts on the idea?

On 2/3/02, Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net> wrote:
If my somewhat poor memory is correct, the '69 Sunbeam Alpine GT used a
Lockheed dual master cylinder that incorporated a floating piston.  If one of
the circuits failed, the floating piston would physically "bottom out" on that
circuit-it would then be either part of the piston being pushed by the brake
pedal or be butted up against the bottom of the master cylinder, thereby
providing part of the master cylinder.  In either case, one brake circuit
would work if the other failed.  The only thing noticable to the driver (other
then the brake warning light coming on) would be more travel on the brake
pedal.  The BIG problem with this system is if there is a failure of the seals
on the "floating" piston, you will not know about it until one of the brake
circuits fails and then the entire system will fail!

Jan Eyerman (past owner of 2 1/2 Sunbeam Alpine GT's)

jumpinjan <servaij@cris.com> wrote:
Robert Dobrowski wrote:

> Dual master cylinders use a floating piston which is pressure balanced

Wait a minute, are you saying that the pressure from one primary circuit
is coupled to pressurized the secondary brake circuit? They are still
not separate of each other, so if the primary fails the secondary will
too? Maybe when that happens, there is a mechanical coupling that
happens to connect the two pistons to restore pressure in the secondary?
I haven't had the chance to rebuild a newer master to explore the
workings of one. I usually just buy a new one instead of rebuilding.
jan
--