Re: Rear Leaf Springs

To: beamertwo@hotmail.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Leaf Springs
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:25:59 EST
Rick,
    Dale used a small eye in front because it allows much less sideways
movement compared to the original large eye.  I left out one sentence (cut
and pasted wrong).  He has added an extra half-leaf from the center of the
leaf spring, running forward, and it wraps around the main leaf.  He
accomplished two things this way: the main leaf cannot twist sideways, and
the springs no longer try to wind-up like a sine wave (lengthwise) when under
hard acceleration or braking.  ( ~ )  It works well, and this one change
dropped his lap times by over two seconds.
    Perhaps I am not familiar with the late Series 2 Alpine springs, however,
I know they are considerably wider than those on a Series 1.  That change was
also made on the Series 2 Hillman Husky.  I thought the change in width was
the only real change made, with the exception on an extra leaf being used on
all Tigers.
Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club  Seattle