Beware: lead in paint

To: GSTROM99@aol.com
Subject: Beware: lead in paint
From: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:45:48 -0800
Gary,
        There is nothing environmentally friendly about blasting outside,
because the old paint contains lead and it's being dispersed into the
atmosphere. I'm afraid (depending where you are going to do this) that
your neighbor/city government could bring charges against you for doing
it. I have never heard, in our local news, anything like that happening,
but I think it COULD happen. All of the small, casual blasting shops
have moved about 30 miles out of Dayton (over 10 years ago), because of
local EPA codes. I know they didn't have the facilities to contain the
dust, because they were small 1 or 2 people shops. I have blasted metal
with sand before, so you really need that respirator and hood. The black
beauty is pretty sharp, but it's pretty dirty too. I recommend you rent
a large pressure pot with a large air compressor (large 4-cylinder
powered, like used for jack hammering), otherwise, you're wasting your
time. Anything less, just doesn't have the power. I been there before,
so I'm passing along my lessons learned.
Jan

--