Re: [Re: Upgrading the Heater]

To: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>, GSTROM99@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Re: Upgrading the Heater]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 8 Dec 2001 16:33:33 EST
There was an American gas fired heater called the "Southwind" and there was a
British unit also (the American unit was rounded while the British unit was
square).  We had one in a 1951 Hillman Minx that supposedly came from Canada.
The heater would make the car so hot you had to open the windows in January to
cool off!  I never heard of either the South Wind units or the British ones
blowing up though.

There was a GM gas fired heater as an option in the 1960 Corvair.  These seem
to blow up with great regularity!

Jan Eyerman

Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> wrote:
At 07:36 PM 12/7/01 EST, GSTROM99@aol.com wrote:
>Of course, some REALLY brave could adapt one of those old VW gas heaters to
>their Alpine.  Stand back when it ignites!!
>
>Man, those things always scared me to death!  We HATED it when some guy
would
>bring in a Type 3 or 4 and asked us to fix the damn thing.  Very scary.

Well, the Borg-Warner units were pretty reliable.  They still supply parts
and the units might still be available new.  At least, a company in
Colorado claims to have some unused sets but, then, these might be NOS.
But they do go "WHOOMP!" when you fire them off.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b`s fir gun ghr`s fir!