fun with brake servo

To: Alpine Discussion List <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: fun with brake servo
From: bmounce@bellatlantic.net
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 20:33:45 -0500
Gents:

Tonight, I had apparent fun with my brake booster.  I wish to advise
novices like myself of this fun, and ask one question.

My wife is out of town, I had a couple of beers with dinner and said to
myself, 'Boy howdy, now's the time to get going on that servo rebuild!'
I went into the basement,  lashed it to the vice, and carefully took the
cover off, waiting for the diaphragm to hop out at me.  It didn't.  I
noticed the big metal piston was reluctant to move.  A couple of taps,
and voila!, out it came, along with three truck shipments of Castrol
brake fluid.  Man, I thought I had drained that sucker, but I was awash
in the stuff.  It ran off the workbench all over power tools I had
foolishly stored in the work area, but did, on the plus side, give a
marvelous sheen to the wood table top.

Providence had dissuaded me earlier from doing this operation on the
dining room table.

I now have cleaned up, showered, had a couple more beers and have a
question:  I am at the point where I need to take the 1/8" rod and form
Factory Tool Number Beedeleebop, to be inserted into a bore to withdraw
the output piston.  (I'm saving this adventure for tomorrow night).  The
bore is not scored, but has slight ridges.  Should I get a small hone
and take them down, use some fine emery cloth, or leave well enough
alone?

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.  My wife is insistant that the
brakes work.

Thanks very much, Bill