Re: [Aluminum oil pans and GT motors]

To: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>,
Subject: Re: [Aluminum oil pans and GT motors]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 14 Oct 2001 18:20:37 EDT
Yes, air conditioning was an option in England on some of the cars that used
this engine-but not in the USA.  The first Rootes/Chrysler car with factory
air imported into the US was the 1972 Plymouth Cricket.

Jan Eyerman

Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net> wrote:
I just started disassembling a GT motor which I came across and noticed
a couple of unusual items.  Perhaps somebody can shed some light on these.

1) The Aluminum oil pan does have a baffle system similar to the steel pan
(which could be better). The oil pan bottom is flat, I always thought the
bottom was angled.

2) There is no crankcase ventilation tube coming out of the side tappet
cover.  How do they ventilate the GT normally?

This is somewhat appealing since on my race motor baffles had to be
welded in to prevent oil splashout... also I have a separate catch bottle
for this tube.

3) The alternator had a really nice reinforced bracket.

4) The crank pulley is really odd.   It is more like stamped steel.

5) Did any of these cars have air-conditioning?  The waterpump pulley has a
second ring welded to it.

Unfortunately, this block cracked - worst I have ever seen - due to the lack
of antifreeze.  It still has it's Rootes Remanufactured engine badge and a
serial number on it for ordering new parts.  I believe it was a low mileage
engine.

I had never taken a GT motor apart and thought some of these details were
unusual.

Steve Silverstein