Error tags...

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Error tags...
From: Ian Spencer <ian@sunbeamalpine.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 20:02:52 -0400
Hi all,
I thought I would pass on an interesting tid bit that I stumbled upon
here recently. I just picked up a new Series II Alpine.. it's the one I
was asking about the RRX stamping a month or so back. Anyhow, This car
has a mis-stamped data tag. It's very interesting because I can prove
100% that it's an error from the factory. The error is on the first R in
RRX. It was originally stamped with an L and then stamped over with an
R. As you all know, the serial number on Series II's is also stamped
into the bulkhead as well. It's also corrected there too. Both places,
the R is an exact match to the second R in the suffix which stands for
roadster. Now, the fun part. The engine, which has matching numbers, is
stamped correctly. No error. I've been working on dismantling this very
honest original car for restoration and there is absolutely no evidence
that it was ever LHD. Now, to add another piece to the puzzle. This
Alpine was built the week of 7/24-7/28. That's the week before the '61
summer holiday where the plant would shut down for 2 weeks to follow. I
think the Rootes employees had their minds on something else the day
this car was built! I think I'll be watching for more mistakes on this
car. :-) - Ian

--
Ian Spencer <www.sunbeamalpine.org>
'61 Series II Alpine B9104704 LRX