Re: SAL ?

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SAL ?
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 18:46:11 EDT
Denis,
    The best guess I have heard is the SAL plate was used to identify the
particular body as it traveled thru the process of assembly.  The number
corresponded with a "build-sheet" determining if the car was to be equipped
with overdrive, wire wheels, right or left hand drive, body color, interior
color, etc.  I have heard a variety of ideas as to what the letters
themselves mean, but most assume the 'S' stands for Sunbeam.
    If you look at a Tiger you will find a similar plate, however it says
JAL...  Tigers were assembled by Jensen Motor Car.  It has been noted, the
JAL numbers do not parallel the serial numbers on Tigers: in other words,
they are out of sequence, which suggests the cars were all given a VIN plate
after assembly, and backs up the "build-sheet" theory.
Jim Leach   Pacific Tiger Club  Seattle