Re: expensive engine noises - update

To: "Scott Donnelly" <oharajem@free.midcoast.com>,
Subject: Re: expensive engine noises - update
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:00:31 -0500
Welcome to the club!

I can only attest to the engine I removed from my 1967 Sunbeam Funwagon,
which had those exact marks, holes, and piston ring bits in it. Upon
disassembly, I discovered that two out of four pistons had broken top rings,
and those broken pieces had enlarged parts of the ring groove to about 1/4
inch or so before escaping into the combustion chamber! I found my answer
when I looked at the underside of the pistons - every one had been bashed on
the wrist pin bosses with what looked to be an air hammer.

My guess - some hamfisted "mechanic" somewhere did a re-ring job, and didn't
bother to cut the ridge at the top of the cylinder - he just beat the
pistons past it. Thus, when the new rings were installed, there wasn't
enough clearance when the pistons reached the top of their stroke, and the
top rings broke.

I went for a total rebuild, but elected not to use that particular block
during my rebuild - I didn't want to take any chances on what OTHER work may
have been done by the same "mechanic"!! I only used the flywheel and the
front mounting plate from that engine - everything else came from other bits
and pieces scrounged up over the years.

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA