Re: Alpines for Touring

To: "jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com>,
Subject: Re: Alpines for Touring
From: "Mary Cornett" <tc123@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 07:02:57 -0800
The 3.89 may be a good ratio for the Alpine with overdrive or 5-speed but
the rear end still remains a weak link. My experience with English bearings
has not been pleasant{motorcycles and automobiles}. Every chance I have to
replace these I do.  You may quote races or rallys where Rootes,MG,Triumphs
and other British products had few problems but in everyday use the picture
changes. Only my opinion but I do not think the Alpine rear end is
dependable as the Ford 8-inch. The Ford also offers a variety of gear
ratios. If I were using my Alpine for exended touring I would change the
whole drive change. I would do this for two reasons, peace of mind and parts
availability.  The easiest way is to contact Joe Rodriquez inh Washington
State.  He offers a bolt on conversion for a Ford V-6. It uses the FORD
8-inch rear end. Good luck ever which way you go. TC