Re: Questions re differential on Alpine

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>, <pLaske@bigfoot.com>, <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>,
Subject: Re: Questions re differential on Alpine
From: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:33:36 -0500
I've been in an of list discussion with Jim and he advises NOT to reuse the
bend over washers. This sounds to me like good advice and Jim has offered to
send me a copy of an article that he wrote about this very subject and why the
washers are a bad idea. With Jim's permission, I'd like to use it as a Feature
of the Month story on my site. Thanks Jim for pointing that out and providing a
better solution. - Ian

Ian Spencer
Client Services
University Hospital
Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati
(513) 584-0365

>>> "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com> 01/30/01 08:41AM >>>
I bend the original locking washer just enough to get a socket on the nut,
remove the nut, and reuse it if it's not worn. The blue locktite is what I
would recommend, since it's designed for non perminate applications. The red is
perminate. After cleaning the bolt and applying lock tite, replace it and bend
the washer back tight against the bolt. Move on to the next bolt and continue
the process around the ring. I don't remember if there is a torque setting on
those bolts, might be...but I'd have to look in a manual and I don't have one
handy here at work. Hope this helps! - Ian

Ian Spencer
Client Services
University Hospital
Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati
(513) 584-0365

>>> js <frodo4@ix.netcom.com> 01/29/01 03:00PM >>>
With the car somewhat dismantled for a bearbox build I thought it mignt
be a good idea to pull the diff apart and check those bolts inside that
hold the ring/planetary??? )(what is the correct term?) gear to see if
they are loose.

For those of you who have done this I have the following questions:
1) Are replacement bolts available
2) if not can I reuse the old ones or are they stretch bolts.
3) torque???
4) do I replace them without the locking tabs. Do I use spring washers?
What color Loctite - will the blue stuff be tough enough
5)Am I being paranoid and should leave it alone.

Thanks
John