Ground Strap Thought

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Ground Strap Thought
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:47:08 -0800
In trying to work out my problem with my alternator, one of the things I
looked at was the contact at the ground straps.  The one at the battery box
is easy to get to and clean.   The one at the tranny is usually the problem
one, all covered in road grease and muck, which gets between the layers if
not perfectly cleaned whenever reassembled.  The problem with checking the
tranny one is that it basically requires undoing the entire tranny cross
mount and lowering the rear of the tranny to get between the multiple
layers between the strap and the chassis - each side of the tranny cross
mount and each side of those rectangular spreader washers, and then the
chassis too.

So, rather than going through all that, I simply went to Pep Boys and
bought a ground strap which I mounted on one of the alternator mounting
bolts and on one of the horn bolts (after cleaning each side to bare
metal).  Of course it didn't solve this problem.  But, that strap will
always be easy to clean, will not get gunked up or covered in road grime
and tranny oil, and is really not visible.

Just a thought.

Jay