Bolt on hubs and other questions

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bolt on hubs and other questions
From: "Andy Boetticher" <aboetticher@home.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:33:49 -0800
Project #2 involves rebuilding the rear end, to which I have a few questions:

1.  Does anyone have a set of four bolt hubs for the back end that they'd be
willing to sell.  I don't know what is interchangeable with what, but I've got
the 17 spline axle shafts in a 3.889 rear end if that makes any difference.

2.  Although my car is a S-IV, I believe the back end came out of an earlier
model.  The remains of some very deteriorated rebound straps and what appears
to be the mounting points for the lever arm shocks lead met to this
conclusion.  At some point, someone kluged together some mounts for modern
telescoping shocks.  In my boneyard of parts, I've got a S-V rear end that has
been through hell...broken axles, bent hubs, etc.  However, the
differential/axle housing looks good, and its got a much more elegant solution
for shock mounts.  Does anyone know if the housings are interchangeable?  I'd
like to pull all the guts from the earlier version and stick them into the
later version if possible.

3.  Regardless of whether I swap everything around, I've got to pull the axle
shafts and differential anyway to replace seals and gaskets.  Is there
anything in particular I should inspect/replace while I've got it broken
apart?.  I really don't want to have to disassemble the differential, so
hopefully there are some basic checks I can perform without having to pull it
all apart.

Thanks,

Andy Boetticher
'65 S-IV