Re: oil

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:31:46 -0600
   Of course, bear in mind that manufacturers today have no reason to tell
you what's BEST for your car - after all, they have a vested interest in
selling you another new one in a couple of years! Maintenance intervals are
now manipulated as selling points - the further apart they stretch the
services, the lower the running cost APPEARS in statistics. Of course, they
only ever calculate those costs over a few years.

    FWIW, I've only ever bought one new car, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero. These
cars were later known for engine problems - leaks, blown head  gaskets,
engine failures, etc. Not mine. It was broken in properly, 3 oil changes by
the time it hit 1000 miles, and then every 3000 miles thereafter. It was
still running strong 100,000 miles later. However, I did NOT use the oil the
manufacturer recommended. They said to use "ONLY 5w30 ENERGY CONSERVING
MOTOR OIL" all year 'round. There is only ONE reason manufacturers say to
use this oil - it's water thin, and is VERY low drag. By specifying this oil
only, the cars tested by the EPA are filled with that weight oil, and it
gives them a point or two better MPG. That's for their benefit, not yours.
It raises their CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) points, and saves them
money.

Ranting completed, stepping down from soapbox.

Jon Arzt