Re: New Engine Oil Change Questions

To: Joe Robson <absjmr@bath.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: New Engine Oil Change Questions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:40:35 -0500
At 07:24 PM 11/22/2000 +0000, Joe Robson wrote:
>Someone recommended 30wt oil with no additives. I'm a bit of a novice over
>oil types and have never come across '30wt' (could be because I'm in
>England) all we have here ranges from 5w/50 to 20w/50 do any of these make
>sense? Should I avoid cheap oil even though it will be changed again in
>400 miles? Any particular brands people recommend?

There are two types of oils about.  One is monograde oils -- one single
weight.  The other is multi-grade, with mixed properties depending on
temperature and the like.  Purists insist on monograde oils.  I would be
surprised if a subject of Her Majesty would find themselves incapable of
locating Castrol monograde oils in the UK.  I can find them here in rural
Virginia!  Straight-weight 30-grade is about a 10W-40 in overall
performance, though it is a more honest lubricant.  40-grade (my
preference, when I can find it!) equates to about a 20W-50.

Monograde, non-detergent oils are what you need to break in.  Even Wolf's
Head makes such.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!