Re: [New Holbay running in questions]

To: Joe Robson <absjmr@bath.ac.uk>, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [New Holbay running in questions]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 20 Nov 00 10:00:43 EST
Don't "lug" the engine, vary engine speeds (don't make a long run at a set
speed), change the oil at 100 miles and again at 500 miles (along with filter
in both cases).  Don't let it idle for long periods of time.  Don't use any
additives in the oil.  That is all I remember from the recommended break in
procedures they recommended to me at Rootes LIC back in the sixties.  They
said "10,20,30,40 MPH" max in each gear during the first 500 miles and
gradually up the speeds over the next 500 miles. Note that this advice is for
a regular street engine and will guarntee (?) long engine life.  It did for
me- I put 113,000 miles on that car with NO engine problems at all.  Oh yes, I
also checked the point gap and ignition  timing every 2 weeks or about every
500 miles.

Jan Eyerman
(who actually bought a Sunbeam new)

Joe Robson <absjmr@bath.ac.uk> wrote:
Hi,

I just picked up my SIV at the weekend with a new Holbay in it (costly but
worth it I hope) I was told that I should keep it below 3000rpm for
1000miles. This obviously sounds sensible, but are ther other things that
I should do / check / worry about? I definately don't want to blow this
one up!

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Joe

64 Alpine