Re: Sunbeam Lifters

To: ejmw7762@netscape.net
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Lifters
From: Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu (Christopher Albers)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:33:47 -0800
ejmw7762@netscape.net writes:
>While dropping of my cam at Isky Cams the other day an engineer there
>told me
>about a machine shop that would regrind my lifters for $1.50 each and
>that
>there would be no problem with grinding past the hardened portion of
>the
>lifter.  Says they do it all the time and that they don't have problems
>doing
>this.  Seems to know his stuff- he's been desighning mods etc for isky
>for 20
>years.

I do not recommend this.  I had my old lifters reground and two of them
failed, destroying my new SB2 Isky cam.  Fortunately I had an extra cam
and Isky reground it for free.  But I had to go through all the hassle
of taking out the freshly rebuilt/modified engine, taking it back to
the machine shop, paying them $500 more to take it apart, check and
clean everything (my pan was full of metal!), buy and replace push rods
and then reassemble it.  Play it safe, buy new lifters!

Isky may not remember me, this happened 1.5 years ago, but I had to
deal with Iskanderian himself to find the problem.  One of my lifters
was eaten into a hollow tube!  They treated me very well, but it was a
major headache and a drain on my wallet (and patience).

CNA