Re: Jensen Healey Surfing

To: alpines@autox.team.net (Alpines)
Subject: Re: Jensen Healey Surfing
From: tjhiggin@chris.iss.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 00 15:12:18 CST
Jay Laifman wrote:
> "All Jensen Healey and Jensen GT automobiles came equipped with the
> brand-new 2 litre, 16-valve Lotus built 907 engine. Home market and
> European destination cars had twin 40mm Dellorto carburetors while Federal
> and Japanese destination cars came with twin Stromberg carburetors. "

Over on the Jensen list, a major topic of discussion among the US JH
folks is the fitment of Dellortos to replace the Strombergs.  I
usually don't pay much attention to the JH messages on the list, but
it seems like a few people have fit Webers.  But mostly they go with
Dellortos because the parts are so much cheaper and easier to find.

> This problem, along with that bland front end and the tacky looking
> interior, have been what has kept me from ever getting one of these cars.

I agree that the styling is bland.  At the Jensen 2000 gathering over
Labor Day I drove a JH for the first time.  All I can say is, WOW!
That engine is primo sweet.  I'm converted.  One day I hope to own a
Jensen GT (hardtop version of JH).  Don't discount a JH until after
you've driven one.  But be careful, don't buy a lemon.  An engine
overhaul will cost big bucks.

--
T.J. Higgins
tjhiggin@ingr.com