Re: 54 sunbeam talbot

To: Russell & Neola <rmaddock@petrie.hotkey.net.au>
Subject: Re: 54 sunbeam talbot
From: Irv Kostal <bigfoot@uia.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:15:16 -0700
Terry:  I'll share my experience, to help you make a judgment.  I bought mine
for $2600, then shipped it across the country to Los Angeles for $1100, so the
cost of the car really came to $3700.  It had considerable rust under the doors,
the floor in the cockpit had to be completely fabricated, there was rust around
the rear fenders and (something that's not obvious right away) rust in the spare
tire compartment.  In addition, I had to get a new gas tank, because that was
rusted out also.

The engine was very difficult to turn over, since it hadn't been operational
since 1962, but eventually we managed to move it, and then the motor actually
ran.  I replaced the rings and valves, but we didn't need to bore out the
block.  Then I had everything hardened to deal with non-lead fuel.

I replaced the stock transmission with a Series V all-synchro tranny.  This cost
me something like $250 for the tranny, plus the labor of adapting it.  Details,
if you care for them, are available.  I don't like the original tranny, since it
is really a three-speed box, with  an emergency low.  When I drove the car, in
the late 50's, I always found the Emergency low TOO low, and the "regular" low
too high, so decided to change it this time around.

On the plus side, the car was complete - there were side curtains, and all the
bits and pieces were there.  Parts have not been too difficult to obtain, though
sometimes they were slow arriving. I'm about done with the restoration (I may be
giving it an extensive road test TODAY!). Though I bought the car last September
(1999), I didn't get it to the restorer until December.  I feel the restoration
has gone quite quickly. The cost (remember, I do none of the work myself) is
around $20,000.  From what I have seen, good cars in general are worth somewhere
between $12,000 and $18,000, with that $18,000 figure reserved for cars in
REALLY pristine condition, I suspect rather better than mine is right now. Of
course, I'm on a personal campaign to increase the value by telling everyone my
selling price is $40,000!  I mean it, too,  because I have no intention of
selling.  However, should someone actually come up with the money....

 The family ties in England should be a help in dealing with Colin Mumbray, and
there are other sources in England as well. You would also want to become a
member of STAR (Sunbeam Talbot Auto Registry).

I hope you decide to go ahead with the project.  We can always use another
person in our group, and I like to think that more of the cars are coming back
to life.

Cordially,

Irv Kostal