Re: RE: Title

To: Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu (Christopher Albers)
Subject: Re: RE: Title
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 14:58:09 -0400
At 11:38 AM 9/15/2000 -0700, Christopher Albers wrote:

>If you reread my original statement, you will see that is what I said.
>If you fail to gain approval from DMV, you have broken CVC 10750 &
>10751.  If you do not disclose the alteration when you sell, you have
>committed fraud.

Your original statement was:

______________________
Disclosure must be made to DMV and any VIN cannot be switched without
their knowledge or permission.  My statement that a fraud would occur
was predicated on an owner selling a vehicle with altered VIN to a
buyer without informing either the buyer or DMV.  It doesn't make any
difference whether the vehicles were damaged or if there were or were
not something to hide.  Even if both vehicles were in perfect
condition, if you switch the VIN's without DMV approval, sell the
vehicle without disclosure, then you have violated 10750/10751 and you
have committed a fraud.
________________________

I extract:  "...if you switch the VIN's without DMV approval ... you have
committed a fraud".  I think you had meant to suggest that not telling the
new owner was the fraud.

You DO commit a fraud if you sell the vehicle without disclosure.  You do
not commit a fraud if you simply fail to notify your state's DMV.  Upon
rereading I see what you were trying to say, and believe we are on the same
wavelength.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!