Alternative Alternator

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternative Alternator
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:44:48 -0700
I've been having a tough time trying to get an alternator to fit with my
new headers.  I've finally succeeded.  In fact, the alternator fit EXACTLY
on to the SV alternator bracket.  I did have to slide the bracket back by
3/16" to align the pulleys.  I did that by filing out the two mounting
holes on the bracket where it attaches to the block by 3/16".  BUT GET
THIS!  As many may know, the alternator bracket is 90 degrees, with a strap
that goes across the front of the engine to mount on to one of the bolts on
the water pump.  That strap in front is actually spaced away from the water
pump by a spacer that is about 3/16"  wide.  By moving the bracket back, I
took out the spacer and all is perfect.

Now, here is the hard part.  I don't know exactly what alternator I have.
I went to a local shop called Pacific Exchange Parts Rebuilders.  They are
located:
Canoga Park, (818) 703-0821
Van Nuys (818) 780-9822
Culver City (310) 838-6995
Pasadena (626) 793-8770

I brought in a large Hitachi alternator in that came from a 280Z that I
have been using for some time.  I told them I needed a smaller one.  They
brought out a smaller Hitachi alternator.  It was about the size of the GM
110 single wire.  I was worried it was not small enough.  So they brought
out an even smaller Hitachi - #14231.  I told them to put aside the small
one, and I'd check the middle one.  The middle one was not small enough.
So I called them and told them that I wanted the 14231.  I went and picked
it up.  They had a Mitsubishi out instead.  They swore it was the same # to
them.  But, in their book, 14231 shows the smaller Hitachi that they had
before.  I did not push it because I liked the Mitsubishi better anyway,
and it was 45 amp rather than 35 amp that the small Hitachi was.  The list
did show that the Hitachi was from a 70-77 Nissan pick up and B210.

They are $65 rebuilt.

Note that they are all internal regulator single wire - well after you loop
one of the wires.  But, I actually figured out how to wire them from a
Nissan wiring diagram.  And Nissan itself looped the same wire!

Good luck.

Jay