Rear Track Width

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Rear Track Width
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:04:44 -0700
Hi out there on the list:
The rear track on our alpines is approximately 2.5 in. narrower than the
front track.  I've been wanting to "even up" the rear track and was told
that the factory deliberately put a narrower rear track "in order to
promote stability".  I'm not clear what was meant by "stability" and how
this was supposed to help.

Question: Would making the rear track 2.5 inches wider (through whatever
means I settle on) have a negative or unhealthy effect on the car?

Would it change the handling (ie promote understeer, promote oversteer)?

Would it make the car more likely to flip in the event of, say,
cornering while braking hard ( a condition that would normally push the
car into terminal oversteer)?

And inquiring mind wants to know, and your thoughts are appreciated.

Regards

David Sosna
S4 GT V6