MGB Wires from Dayton

To: "'alpines@autox.team.net '" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB Wires from Dayton
From: "Doerrer, Siegfried" <Siegfried.Doerrer@caminus.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:51:32 -0400
I got my MGB Dayton 14x5 wires to replace my 13x4 p-o-s Dunlops & this what
I found:

- Daytons look great. They come with rubber band to separate tube from spoke
ends and look trued.

- Dunlops had 3 3/8 inch backspace (back of hub to outer rim)

- Daytons have 4 inch backspace

- splines are same

- inner wheel (where it sleeves onto hubs) is substantially longer on
Daytons than Dunlops by about 3/8". Enough to limit knock-off cap turns to
four from 'original' seven.

- I got two wheels for about $450 shipped.

Looks like they will fit o.k. in rear (probably with 175/70-14s).  Uncertain
about front. Very small clearance (about 1cm) between control arm and rim.
With tire - clearance may be less. I was orginally thinking of 185/60-14s,
but w/ the additional backspace and control arm clearance thinking i should
retreat to 175/70s.

Should I be worried about inner wheel length & less threads on knock-off
cap? My other two alternatives are to get 13x4s w/ 175/70-13s, to have
wheels custom-made (probably $100 more per wheel and a few more weeks of
wait), or to try these out.  At worst, I'll end up with differences between
front and rear & a little nervous about the lower # of threads connecting my
wheels.