Re: Horn Relay

To: Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>
Subject: Re: Horn Relay
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 06:05:13 -0600
Brent Kasl wrote:

> A question to all the early Alpine owners. My S2 says it has a horn
> relay but I cannot find it. My horns do not work although their is power
> from the steering wheel all the way to the horns. Any ideas? Brent

Brent:

I'm not sure how you checked power without finding the relay, since I have
been working on this lately, and your horns should be getting power from
the relay only. The relay is mounted on the right side firewall and should
have four contacts: one contact gets power from the fuse, and when the
relay picks up, sends power out of another contact to the two horns (and
through them to ground). A third contact brings power from the other fuse
to one side of the relay coil, and the other side of the relay coil (fourth
contact) is connected to your steering wheel lead and goes from there
(through the horn button) to ground.

You should be able to check your horns simply by removing the lead and
running a jumper from the solenoid (bat. +) to the horn contact. If this
doesn't work, try adjustment screw.

I can send you the wire colors if you need them, but I don't have the
wiring diagram in front of me now.

Ron Tebo